Friday, December 10, 2010

Mike Sitcowski: Politics Most Hopeful Campaign Manager




When we were assigned this interview project, I was questioning whether or not journalism is what I really want to do with the rest of my life. While I enjoy searching for answers and exposing the truth within the political world, I wondered whether or not a job in political public relations was better suited for me. Granted, I knew very little about the profession, so initially I decided to play it safe and interview a political journalist. I attempted to interview one of the teachers from Columbia who I knew wrote political pieces but, I discovered that interviewing other journalism teachers is frowned upon at Columbia.


So, back to the drawing board I went. I knew I still wanted a career somewhere within the political realm, so I decided to take this opportunity explore the public relations profession. I considered trying to interview Mayor Daley’s public relations personnel, but I imagine that they have more important things to do so I decided to think more realistically, and decided on my Alderman’s public relations team. I googled Alderman Fioretti, and sent an e-mail saying that I was not interested in contacting the Alderman himself, but instead his public relations team. I received a phone call around 10:30 that night, from a mystery number. The voicemail said that Andy Pierce was returning my call and the number to reach him at. I called him back, expecting an answering machine because it was so late at night. Instead, he answered fairly promptly. I explained that I was a freshmen at Columbia and interested in interviewing the Fioretti public relations team. “Pertaining to what, exactly?” His invasive question and accusing tone surprised me. I explained that I was just a college student researching a career that I was interested in pursuing. “Very good,” he replied and suggested I contact Mike Sitkowski, and gave me his number.


The next day I called Mike, preparing for an encounter like I had the night before. I put on my best professional voice, but instead of a curt middle-aged sounding man, a cheery, younger sounding guy answered. Mike was incredibly accommodating, willing and happy to help; he gave me a better time to reach him later that night and told me that he was actually Fioretti’s campaign manager, so he did work in public relations but not exclusively. Because of the experience I had the night before, Mike’s helpful and happy demeanor surprised me. Almost instantly I began thinking of questions and quickly wrote them down into my notebook.


That night, our interview was delayed because Mike was in a meeting. I started to get nervous, maybe Mike had talked to the Mr. Pierce about the interview and wasn’t that willing to help me anymore. But right after Mike got on the phone, he instantly apologized for the delay, sounding just as eager and inclined to help as he had earlier in the day.


During the interview, I felt like both Mike and I were nervous. I was nervous because this was my first ever interview with someone in a field I respect, who believes in things I also strongly believe in. I think Mike was nervous because this is first campaign, and I would imagine his first interview as a campaign manager. Both of us said a lot of “um”s and “uh”s, and there could have been a much better flow during it- more like a conversation and less like interrogation.


My questions were part trying to learn more about his line of work, and part trying to expose him as a person who manipulates the news and headlines of the day. I asked him things like, "What does a campaign manager actually physically do?" and "How do you feel about spin?" He was very informative, he explained to me that campaign managers are in charge of not only the public relations aspect but also the organizational and financial aspects. He also cleared up my misunderstanding that campaign managers were paid via tax dollars, just like the official he or she may be representing.


Trying to expose him as some heartless manipulator proved to be a much more difficult task, because Mike isn’t heartless. He honestly believes in the candidate that he represents, “to work with a candidate I have to believe in what they’re doing, believe in their message, you know, that’s a pre-requisite for me.” He also strongly believed in honesty during campaigns, as opposed to spin that seems to dominate campaigns. “I just think that it’s more necessary when you have a product or a campaign and you’re trying to paint it in a different light, in a better light I guess. I think if you believe in what you’re doing, if you believe in your product, if you believe in your candidate then you don’t necessarily need some spin, you [can just] explain everything as is.”



Now, as I said previously, this is Mike’s first-ever campaign. I think it is entirely possible that the business just hasn’t burned him out yet. His confidence in honesty and hope for honorable campaigns is something I share as well however, I also understand its near impossibility. I yearn for the day that all campaign managers are like Mike, and hope that he never becomes jaded. His political purity was the biggest, and best surprise of this interview process.

No comments:

Post a Comment