Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This week's reading and guest speaker: special focus

Part of your assignment for the week is to follow The Beachwood Reporter, and while I'm sure you're reading it faithfully I want to point out that today's post is especially significant for our class.

We'll be talking about it on Friday.  A lot.

Two big themes:

1.  The Tribune Company as a case study in how the business side of journalism affects the work we do.
2.  Journalistic ethics. 

Be sure to follow the links-- you won't be able to understand the story without them.

To help you out, here's a quick synopsis of the background material:

Part I:  December 2009
  • For about a year, Steve was a contributing blogger to Channel 5's website, nbcchicago.com.  Then, last December, he quit over an issue of editorial integrity:  
  • A post he had written about Randy Michaels, who had just been appointed CEO of Tribune Co., had been taken down.  When Steve asked why, he was told, essentially, that a Tribune exec had complained to an NBC network exec.  
  • The next day, while Steve was trying to figure out what was going on, the station pulled another of his posts, on an unrelated topic-- but again, he was told, because an executive (not an editor) had a personal issue with it.
  • Steve decided that since this is the exact kind of thing he would normally write about as a media critic at the Beachwood Reporter, he couldn't very well clam up about it and still respect himself.
  • So he quit, and wrote up the story on his own site.
With me so far?  OK, here's links to the full texts:
  • The text of Steve's original post about Randy Michaels is here. (Scroll down to about halfway through the page.) 
  • Steve's write-up of the reasons he quit the blogging job is here.
  • For more versions of the story, a Google search on Steve's name and NBCChicago.com brings up several writeups from local columnists (including Robert Feder, who Justin talked about last week).
Part II:  Now

Read up, folks!  Add comments below, post and vote on questions for Steve, and use the comments thread on this post for  your other homework assignment for the week.

11 comments:

  1. I feel like he made the right decision in quitting his job, i mean sure he was without a job, but I'm sure he sleeps easy knowing that he didn't sell out. if it means anything to you, you have my respect.

    -DeAnte Lightfoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Aide to Cook County Board President Todd Stroger accused of Fraud and Theft...

    WGN News
    This story is extremely informative. It gives the reader a firm description of what happened, who Carla Oglesby really is, how she reacted and it gave plenty of quotes. The only weakness i see in this story is that it gets off the subject at certain points.

    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/top-stroger-aide-carla-oglesby-arrested-in-contract-probe.html

    Chicago Sun-Times
    The story printed in the Sun-Times gives a more in depth look at some of the crimes Carla Oglesby committed and how she committed them. The weakness of this story is that it didn't give any detail as to what happened after she was arrested. I also took note that this story ties back to comments she made back in May pertaining to the accusations.

    http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2771378,carla-oglesby-arrested-stroger-100410.article

    Chicago Tribune
    Very strong article. Gives the reader all of the information up front and did not flood the article with direct quotes. In my opinion this article has no weaknesses.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/elections/ct-met-stroger-aide-arrested-20101004,0,4493364.story

    -DeAnte Lightfoot

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole situation seems outrageous to me. I think that Steve Rhodes is completely doing the right thing here.

    I'm a little confused with the whole Tribune bankruptcy thing. I got that they're in debt, and under bad management. But a lot of the article talks about sexual harassment. Connection?

    I think it's ridiculous that people in charge can act this way. I support Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would 100% agree with Steve. I would of quit my job too. He has the right to write as a journalist. I think that you need a legit reason to be able to take the article down or do something like that. He did a very courageous thing by quitting his job. It is very interesting what this story holds.
    I am looking forward to talking about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Steve decided to continue writing through The Beachwood Reporter. It's good to know he's still following his dream of being a journalist after having to have his usually loyal articles taken down. I think it's shameful that the vice president of NBC tried to bribe him with money and wasn't willing to answer Steve in a mature manner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to hearing form Mr. Rhodes when he comes to visit our class! Very interesting guy and he has some wit to him too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you sign up for a job with any news company, you sign up at risk of your story not being printed. Of course, Steve understood this, and understood that NBC was being irresponsible. I don't know that I would have done the same if I were in his position, but I still think his reaction is justified.
    It's the truth when Steve writes "Somehow, I'm the only one who got hurt because I was the only one who did the right thing."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I am very pumped about hearing him in class! He did the right thing. Hearing more about this from him will be very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't help but agree with Mr. Rhodes in his decision. I'm interested to learn what happens in the future and am relieved to know he is still writing. The industry needs people willing to make right decisions, even if it does mean giving up a salary. He has my respect and I look forward to reading more of the Beachwood Reporter articles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the right thing is the hard thing. Steve choose the right, and difficult, path here and I think he made the right choice. If he hadn't, he would have lost integrity and credibility - and how can you trust a journalist with no integrity or credibility?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Steve,
    Isn't a journalist free to write whatever he/she wants? I would of quit as well. Mr.Rhodes made a hard decision and I respect him for that. I hope that he will be very successful at the Beachwood Reporter.

    ReplyDelete